In the world of Search Engine Optimization (SEO), white hat SEO techniques refer to the strategies that experts use to make searching better for users instead of just search engines. Aside from that, the most important definition of white hat SEO is that it follows the rules and policies of search engines completely. In other words, it is a legit and viable way to improve one’s website ranking.
Why is White Hat SEO Important?
Business owners that want their website to rank well without being penalized by search engines will have to apply good SEO. There are many SEO providers today who promise their clients to give them the best results while charging a huge sum, but they end up damaging the business instead. The reason behind this is because they do not fully use white hat SEO only.
The primary difference between white hat and black hat SEO is the same as comparing being successful to being a failure. Black hat techniques rely on questionable processes that deceive people and search engines to obtain a good ranking quickly. On the other hand, white hat SEO is a slow but sure process that is considered ethical and relies on quality content and good web design.
Besides being illegal, the techniques that are being applied in black hat SEO contradict the algorithms that search engines have. These search engines know how to identify these unethical processes and will eventually weed them out. Such techniques include:
- Keyword Stuffing – This is the process of putting a high number of keywords on a web page by either inserting them in the text content or in the source code. Although a focus keyword is important for every page, there are limits to how many can be used.
- Cloaking – This is the act of providing false information to search engine spiders to entice people to click through a link and lead them to a website or landing page that does not provide what the user is looking for.
- Spamdexing – This is a combination of techniques that are done to manipulate the relevance of content that the search engines index.
- Scraper Site – This is a website that has too much advertisement and little to no content that can help a user. The primary purpose why people make these pages is to bring in as much money from the advertisements.
- Duplicate Content – Several websites are using the exact same content on each one of them. As an alternative, black hat SEO practitioners also plagiarize content form other websites and claim them as their own.
- Hijacking – This is a strategy wherein a rogue site is made to trick search engines into ranking a competitor’s website poorly.
So What Happens If You Try to Use Black Hat SEO?
Rogue companies use black hat techniques as a means to give their clients a high ranking quickly. Although it can happen fast, the website would eventually suffer in the long run because it will be penalized by search engines. This can mean either a page being put lower than it should have been ranked or be deleted from the rankings right away.
Black hat SEO is a big no-no for any company that wants to do business for a long time and in a legal way. That is why we at Spartan Digital work hard with the projects that we are assigned to by our clients because we care for each one of them just like ours.
If you are interested in our white hat SEO services, feel free to contact Spartan Digital today!