You may not believe it, but the business of plumbing is very competitive. This is especially true with regards to getting your brand at the forefront of where your customers can see you. Nowadays, it is quite common for people to search the top results that come out when searching via Google and work their way to the bottom. One thing to note is that the majority of searchers don’t go past the 2nd page quite often, especially when looking at plumber SEO.
So how can you ensure that your business gets to the top of such listings whenever potential customers are searching for a plumber near them?
In this article, we will discuss several proven steps that you can take to help improve your plumbing company’s local search rankings in Google.
Identify Keywords That Drive Traffic
The first step that you need to take for plumber SEO is to find out which keywords will give the most traffic for your brand online. These words will usually be the ones that are the most relevant to the plumbing services you have to offer. Some examples of keywords that you can use include water heater repair, commercial plumbing and clogged residential drains. Once you’ve filled up your list of service-related keywords, go ahead and sign up for an account in Google AdWords.
You aren’t obligated to pay for anything once you’ve set up your account, but you will have instant access to the Keyword Planner tool which comes with the AdWords platform. By putting in a list of search terms in the Keyword Planner, the tool will then provide you with more ideas including data on the generated traffic for the potential keywords.
Keywords That Signal Intent to Hire
People who use keywords that signal their intent to hire are often the ones who plan to take action. Whenever people use such keywords, it is often accompanied by a phone call to the business or a visit to the website. The results here would be a sales cycle that gets completed in just a few minutes. This is great for local SEO.
A good example of this would be “plumber in Houston” or “Houston plumber”. Most of the time people searching for a service in a particular town or city would most likely hire them after finding the one that fits their needs.
Keywords That Signal Research Intent
People use this type of keyword when they want to know about something or gather data about on a subject. These keywords are often found at the long end of a sales cycle if a sale happens at all. A good example of this includes “how to unclog a drain” which is often used by DIY people trying to figure out how they can fix the issue themselves.
Although lower in priority for SEO campaigns, research intent keywords can be used as topics for your articles and blogs. They can also be added to your FAQ sections on your website.
Enhance Your Keywords
There are two important areas where your keywords needs to be optimized: the Google My Business page and your website. The Google My Business page of your company can be enhanced to inform your prospect customers what your brand has to offer. Meanwhile, your website will have its optimization focused around the home and services pages. You can then work on the content of your other pages after you’ve optimized these core pages.
Tips to Optimize Google My Business Page
- Claim and Verify – For local SEO, the optimization of your Google My Business page begins by claiming and verifying it there. If you’ve been around for a while but have not yet claimed your own page, you might want to enter the correct details to this page so that it will reflect accordingly when searched through Google.
- Enter the Right Categories – Google lets you enter the proper categories for your business by listing them. One of the first categories you need to have should be “Plumber”. Aside from that, you can also include heating contractor, HVAC repair and AC contractor if you offer those as well.
- Description – This section is important because here you can introduce what your business does to your potential clients and how you can solve their problems. Your description should include the services you offer, how long you’ve been in business, qualifications and the benefits in choosing you.
Tips to Optimize Your Website
- Title Tags – This tag should include the main category, location and the name of your company. Take for example if your company is in Houston and the name is Quick Plumbing Guys, you can put your title tag as: Plumber in Houston | Quick Plumbing Guys. Make sure that you keep your title tags between 50 to 65 characters in length only.
- Meta Descriptions – These descriptions are the texts that show up below the headline and the URL whenever a page is sown on the search results of Google. This section should contain information that will tell your prospect customers what you have to offer and to click on your site. Meta description length should be between 100 to 150 characters only.
- Content – Your homepage content should have at least 200 words in it, but you can get more SEO out of it with 500 to 1000 words written. Be sure that the content you have on your front page is written by a professional and doesn’t contain any errors or misspellings. The data on your homepage should include the important aspects of your company.
How to Get Citations and Develop Links
We can define citations as the listings of the name, address and phone number of your business found on other sites. Before you begin this process, ensure that you have included such information on the contact page and footer on each page of your website. You can then work on confirming these details on your site to match with the ones found on your Google My Business page.
After confirming that these details are consistent on your site and local page, you can then apply for business listings through various directories.
Google loves to focus its attention on websites that have a lot of links, especially those coming from authority websites. Each of these inbound links is being measured by Google’s ranking algorithm and will depend on where each came from. As mentioned earlier, Google prefers those that are coming from high traffic and legitimate websites which will thus improve your SEO in the long run.
One of the best ways you can get good links back to your website is through directories. For plumber SEO, be sure to include other plumbing directories or home service directories, especially if they are focused locally.
Get Great Reviews for Local SEO
You can get great reviews from your customers by providing them with amazing service. After providing your clients with great service, you can always ask them to give your business a review of their experience. You can email a request for a review to your satisfied customers that will include a link to the review section found on your Google My Business page.
Since many of your customers are going to see what your Google My Business page has before anything else, it is important that you gather positive reviews about your business on this page first. Having positive reviews can help your brand by improving its local page ranking and persuade customers to choose you for their plumbing needs.
Start Tracking Your Results
After completing all of your initial SEO efforts, you will want to monitor your results afterwards. This is important because it will help you improve your campaign performance in the future. There are three important metrics that you need to track on any SEO campaign, namely:
Keeping an eye on your page rankings can open up insights about your campaign. This can include the performance of your keywords, its impressions and the number of users that have clicked through your website. To keep track of your page rankings, you can install Google Search Console to check how your website fared in the past month or two.
You can also use RankRanger.com for comprehensive and automatic tracking of your statistics. This is a paid tracking tool and will provide you with updated ranking reports automatically across multiple keywords. It will also track your rankings in Google My Business and your general website rank as well.
This is another important aspect that needs to be monitored. Besides that traffic that comes in, you will also want to keep track of where it is coming from.
By using Google Analytics, you can get comprehensive tracking to track every page on your site and monitor your traffic accordingly. Installing this platform is pretty straightforward, but you can always leave this to your webmaster, especially if you have a big website.
It is recommended that you review your traffic metrics each month to find trends that will match long-term strategies and see how your traffic grows from there.
Last but not the least, you will want to know how your customers are being converted, if any. For plumbing companies, one of the commonly occurring conversions happen through a phone call, so you will want to keep track of that one and how many of them result in conversions. It is possible to use Google Analytics to keep track of phone calls and your conversions. It can reveal the services which are bringing in the highest customers to your business including the pages that have the highest and lowest ratios for conversion.
In summary, plumber SEO can be very powerful in driving more phone calls and service requests from your website, Google My Business and other associated digital marketing efforts. For more information about how Spartan Digital can help your plumbing company bring in more customers, get your quote today or get a free SEO audit on your website.